"The global industrial automation cable market size reached US$ 9.2 billion in 2023. Looking forward, Reports and Insights expects the market to reach US$ 19.2 billion in 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 9.2% during 2024-2032."
The global industrial automation cable market has been registering substantial revenue growth, and this is driven by increasing adoption of automation technologies and rising demand for more efficient data transmission and power supply solutions globally. Despite a number of challenges, significant opportunities are available in the market, and key players are focusing on innovation and strategic partnerships to maintain a competitive edge.
Some key factors contributing to steady revenue growth of the market include rising demand for automation in various industries such as manufacturing, automotive, oil and gas, and energy. The need for high-speed data transmission, reliable connectivity, and efficient power supply is currently driving a surge in demand for advanced industrial automation cables. Also, rising trend of deployment of industrial IoT and Industry 4.0 initiatives is boosting market growth.
Industrial Automation Cable Market Report Overview:
The report provides comprehensive insights into driving factors, restraints, opportunities, and trends, with provision of in-depth supporting information, data, statistics, and actionable insights. Though covered and provided extensively across the report, the data and information format are simple, yet dynamic in order to ensure ease of reading and understanding, as well as presenting and maximizing leverage and use.
Revenues are provided in detail for previous years in order to showcase the evidence upon which our estimations and forecasts are based. Revenue growth rates and differences, as well as comparisons and relatable data are provided to further support all findings. Data points are provided for each year – from historical to end of forecast period – and this format is followed for each segment region and respective countries, as well as sub-segments and others. Vital details of major companies in the market are provided in the company profile section of the report. Cover includes financials, recent developments, strategies, product launches, agreements, expansion, mergers & acquisitions, and others.
The report is segmented according to product type, cable type application industry, sales channel and region. Regional segmentation includes North America (United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Poland, BENELUX, NORDIC, and Rest of Europe); Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand, & Rest of Asia Pacific); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, & Rest of Latin America); Middle East & Africa (Saudi Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Israel, and Rest of MEA).
Industrial Automation Cable Market Trends and Drivers:
Increasing Adoption of Automation Technologies: Rising demand for automation across various industries such as manufacturing, automotive, oil and gas, and energy is a major factor driving global industrial automation cable market revenue growth. High focus on increased productivity, efficiency, and cost savings are resulting in implementation of automated systems that rely on robust and reliable cable connections to transmit data and power signals.
Need for Efficient Data Transmission: With the advent of Industry 4.0 and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), need for high-speed data transmission continues to increase in industrial automation processes. Industrial automation cables provide the necessary connectivity to enable real-time data exchange between sensors, machines, and control systems, and rising demand for faster data transfer and reduced latency are factors driving deployment of advanced industrial automation cables.
Reliable Power Supply: Industrial automation systems require a stable and reliable power supply to ensure uninterrupted operations. Industrial automation cables are designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions, provide efficient power transmission, and offer protection against electrical interference. The need for consistent and reliable power distribution in automated systems is a significant factor driving demand for industrial automation cables.
Growth of Industrial IoT (IIoT): The proliferation of connected devices and integration of digital technologies in industrial processes has been leading to increased deployment of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Industrial automation cables play a crucial role in connecting various IoT devices, sensors, and actuators within an automated system. Increasing implementation of IIoT applications in industries such as manufacturing, logistics, and energy is expected to continue to drive demand for industrial automation cables.
Technological Advancements: Continuous advancements in cable technology, including improved insulation materials, higher data transmission rates, enhanced shielding capabilities, and increased durability, are resulting in increased number of industrial set-ups opting for more modernized infrastructure, capabilities, and operations. This is expected to support market revenue growth in future.
Industry Regulations and Standards: The industrial automation cable market is also influenced by industry regulations and standards that govern the quality, safety, and performance requirements of cables used in industrial automation applications. Compliance with these regulations ensures the reliability and safety of automated systems. Need for compliance is resulting in increasing deployment of more advanced and approved components in infrastructure and driving market revenue growth.
Emerging Economies and Infrastructure Development: The expansion of industrial automation in emerging economies, coupled with infrastructure development initiatives, presents significant growth opportunities for players in the industrial automation cable market. Countries such as China, India, and Brazil are witnessing rapid industrialization and increased investments in automation, and this trend is supporting demand for industrial automation cables.
What Factors Are Restraining Growth of Industrial Automation Cable Market?
Despite the overly positive outlook, some key factors are expected to restrain growth of the industrial automation cable market. Primary concerns are high cost associated with advanced industrial automation cables, which may limit their adoption, particularly in small and medium-sized enterprises, and complex installation process and need for skilled professionals for cable setup and maintenance.
High Installation and Maintenance Costs: The installation and maintenance of industrial automation cables can be costly, especially in large-scale industrial settings. The need for specialized equipment, skilled labor, and regular maintenance can add significant expenses to the overall automation system costs.
Lack of Awareness and Knowledge: Despite the rising adoption of automation technologies, there is still a lack of awareness and knowledge about the benefits and importance of industrial automation cables, especially in some developing economies. Some companies may not fully understand the significance of using high-quality cables in their automation systems or may overlook their role in ensuring reliable and efficient operations. This lack of awareness can restrain market growth as companies may opt for cheaper, substandard cables or delay their investment in industrial automation cables.
Limited Interoperability and Compatibility: Industrial automation systems often involve the integration of various components and equipment from different manufacturers. Incompatibility issues between cables and devices from different vendors can pose challenges and hinder the seamless operation of the automation system. The limited interoperability and compatibility of industrial automation cables with different equipment can restrain market growth as companies may hesitate to invest in cables that may not work effectively with their existing infrastructure.
Economic Uncertainty and Market Volatility: Economic uncertainty and market volatility can have a significant impact on the industrial automation cable market. During periods of economic downturn or uncertainty, companies may delay or reduce their investments in automation projects, including the purchase of industrial automation cables. The fluctuating market conditions can restrain revenue growth as companies prioritize cost-cutting measures and postpone non-essential capital expenditures.
Data Security Concerns: In the era of interconnected automation systems, data security is a critical concern. Industrial automation cables transmit sensitive data between devices and control systems, making them vulnerable to cybersecurity threats. The increasing frequency and sophistication of cyber-attacks pose a risk to the integrity and confidentiality of data transmitted through industrial automation cables. Concerns about data security can restrain market growth as companies hesitate to adopt automation systems or invest in cables without robust security measures.
What are the Opportunities for Leading Industrial Automation Cable Manufacturers?
Addressing these challenges and creating awareness about the benefits and importance of industrial automation cables will be crucial for sustained market expansion. The increasing implementation of robotics and artificial intelligence in industrial automation opens avenues for deployment and use of advanced cable solutions that can support these technologies. Also, rising demand for energy-efficient cables and increasing focus on renewable energy sources create opportunities for cable manufacturers. Moreover, the expansion of industrial automation in emerging economies presents untapped market potential.
What are the factors driving the Industrial Automation Cable demand in North America region?
North America has emerged as a prominent market for industrial automation cables. The United States, in particular, has witnessed substantial demand owing to the presence of a strong manufacturing sector and widespread adoption of automation technologies across industries such as automotive, aerospace, electronics, and pharmaceuticals. Also, Canada has shown significant growth potential in the global industrial automation cable market, driven by increasing automation investments and the need for efficient connectivity solutions.
Does Europe account for a prominent Industrial Automation Cable market share?
Europe has been at the forefront of industrial automation, and countries such as Germany, France, and Italy have been key contributors in terms of demand for industrial automation cables in the region. Germany, known for its robust manufacturing base and advanced automation practices, has exhibited substantial demand for high-quality cables to support sophisticated automation systems. Other countries in Europe such as the United Kingdom, Spain, and Sweden have also witnessed considerable growth in industrial automation.
What are the factors driving the growth in Industrial Automation Cable unit sales in Asia Pacific region?
Asia Pacific has emerged a major hub for industrial automation due to rapid industrialization, technological advancements, and increasing investments in automation across countries. China, as the world's largest manufacturing hub, has witnessed significant demand for industrial automation cables. The country's focus on upgrading manufacturing processes and adopting Industry 4.0 practices has created substantial opportunities for cable manufacturers. Other countries in the region, including Japan, South Korea, India, and ASEAN nations, have also witnessed a surge in demand for industrial automation cables due to the growth of industries such as automotive, electronics, and consumer goods manufacturing.
What is the Outlook on Industrial Automation Cable Sales in Latin America?
Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, and Argentina have recorded rising demand for reliable and high-performance cables industrial automation cables, driven by expanding manufacturing sector, particularly in Brazil and Mexico, coupled with increasing adoption of automation technologies. Rising investments in industries such as automotive, food and beverages, and chemical, which require efficient automation solutions and modern cabling infrastructure, is also supporting revenue growth of the market in the region.
Why Middle East & Africa region is characterized by a diverse market landscape?
The Middle East & Africa has been registering major increase in industrial automation activities, driven by investments in sectors such as oil and gas, mining, and manufacturing. Significant rise in demand for industrial automation cables has been noted from countries such as Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and the United Arab Emirates. The deployment of automation systems in the oil and gas industry, as well as rising focus on smart manufacturing and infrastructure development projects has created opportunities for cable manufacturers in the region.
Leading Industrial Automation Cable Manufacturers & Competitive Landscape:
The industrial automation cable market is highly competitive, with several major players operating globally. These companies focus on product innovation, strategic partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, and expanding their product portfolios to gain a competitive edge.
- Belden Inc.
- Prysmian Group
- Nexans S.A.
- General Cable Technologies Corporation
- Lapp Group
- Leoni AG
- Southwire Company, LLC
- Anixter International Inc.
- Alpha Wire
- Hitachi Metals, Ltd.
- HELUKABEL GmbH
- Fujikura Ltd.
- SAB Bröckskes GmbH & Co. KG
- Cables Unlimited, Inc.
- TPC Wire & Cable Corp.
Major Companies & Recent Developments:
- Belden is focusing on product innovation and expanding its product portfolio to cater to the evolving needs of industrial automation applications. The company emphasizes the development of high-flex and high-performance cables for reliable data transmission in industrial environments. In January 2023, Belden announced the launch of its new line of high-flex Ethernet cables, designed specifically for industrial automation applications.
- Prysmian Group aims to strengthen its position in the market through strategic acquisitions and partnerships. By expanding its product offerings and global footprint, the company aims to provide comprehensive solutions for industrial automation cable requirements. In October 2022, Prysmian Group announced the acquisition of EHC Global, which is a leading manufacturer of industrial automation cables, to expand its presence in the vertical transportation market.
- Nexans is focusing on research and development to enhance the performance and durability of its industrial automation cables. The company aims to provide innovative solutions that meet the increasing demand for high-speed data transmission and reliable connectivity in industrial settings. In September 2022, Nexans announced the development of a new range of high-performance industrial automation cables with improved durability and reliability.
- General Cable is focusing on product diversification and expanding its presence in emerging markets. The company aims to leverage its expertise in industrial automation cables to offer a wide range of solutions for different applications and industries. In March 2022, General Cable Technologies Corporation announced the expansion of its product portfolio with the introduction of a new line of low-voltage industrial automation cables.
- Lapp Group is prioritizing customer-centric solutions by offering customized industrial automation cable products. The company aims to provide flexible and reliable cables tailored to specific customer requirements, ensuring seamless integration and optimal performance. In November 2022, Lapp Group launched a new series of industrial automation cables with enhanced fire resistance and improved data transmission capabilities.
- Leoni AG is focusing on strengthening its partnerships with key players in the industrial automation sector. By collaborating with leading manufacturers and suppliers, the company aims to deliver high-quality cables and harnesses for automation systems, catering to diverse customer needs. In February 2023, Leoni reported a strategic partnership with a leading automotive manufacturer to supply high-quality industrial automation cables for their production facilities.
- Southwire is committed to sustainability and environmental stewardship. The company focuses on developing eco-friendly industrial automation cables that minimize the environmental impact while meeting the performance demands of modern automation applications. In July 2022, the company announced the development of a new line of eco-friendly industrial automation cables made from sustainable materials.
- Anixter International aims to provide comprehensive solutions to customers by offering a wide range of industrial automation cables from various manufacturers. The company focuses on delivering value-added services, including technical support, logistics, and supply chain management. In May 2022, Anixter announced the acquisition of a leading distributor of industrial automation cables, expanding its market presence and product offerings.
- Alpha Wire emphasizes the development of cables with advanced features such as high flexibility, durability, and resistance to harsh environments. The company focuses on providing reliable cables that enable efficient data transmission and support the growing demands of industrial automation. In January 2023, Alpha introduced a new line of halogen-free industrial automation cables that comply with the latest safety standards.
- HELUKABEL focuses on building strong customer relationships by providing high-quality industrial automation cables and exceptional customer service. The company aims to offer reliable products with fast delivery and technical support to meet customer requirements effectively. In March 2022, HELUKABEL GmbH introduced a new series of high-flex industrial automation cables designed for demanding applications in harsh environments.
- Fujikura focuses on technological advancements to develop cables with higher data transfer rates and improved performance. The company aims to meet the increasing demand for faster and more reliable connectivity in industrial automation applications. In August 2022, Fujikura announced the development of a new generation of high-speed industrial automation cables with increased data transfer rates.
- SAB Bröckskes is focusing on developing hybrid cables that combine power and data transmission capabilities in a single cable. By offering innovative solutions, the company aims to simplify installation, reduce costs, and enhance overall efficiency in industrial automation systems. In September 2022, SAB Bröckskes unveiled a range of hybrid industrial automation cables that combine power and data transmission capabilities in a single cable.
- TPC Wire & Cable focuses on providing customized cable solutions tailored to specific industrial automation applications. The company aims to deliver cables with superior performance, reliability, and resistance to harsh operating conditions, meeting the unique needs of its customers. In October 2022, TPC Wire & Cable introduced a new line of oil-resistant industrial automation cables, specifically designed for applications in harsh and oily environments.
Market size available for the years
Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)
Product Type, Cable Type Application Industry, Sales Channel and Region
North America: The U.S. & Canada
Latin America: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, & Rest of Latin America
Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia & New Zealand, ASEAN, & Rest of Asia Pacific
Europe: Germany, The U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Russia, Poland, BENELUX, NORDIC, & Rest of Europe
The Middle East & Africa: Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Egypt, Israel, and Rest of MEA
Fastest Growing Country in Asia-Pacific
Largest Market in Europe
Belden Inc., Prysmian Group, Nexans S.A., General Cable Technologies Corporation, Lapp Group, Leoni AG, Southwire Company, LLC, Anixter International Inc., Alpha Wire, Hitachi Metals, Ltd., HELUKABEL GmbH, Fujikura Ltd., SAB Bröckskes GmbH & Co. KG, Cables Unlimited, Inc., TPC Wire & Cable Corp.
By Product Type:
- Ethernet Cables
- Fieldbus Cables
- Servo Cables
- Robot Cables
By Cable Type:
- Copper Cables
- Fiber Optic Cables
By Application Industry
- Oil & Gas
- Energy & Power
- Aerospace & Defense
- Chemicals & Petrochemicals
- Food & Beverage
By Sales Channel:
- Direct Sales
- Distributor Sales
Segmentation By Region:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of Latin America
Middle East & Africa:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- Rest of MEA
Frequently Asked Question
What are the key factors driving growth of the industrial automation cable market?
Growth of the industrial automation cable market is driven by increasing automation adoption, demand for efficient data transmission and power supply, and rise of industrial IoT and Industry 4.0 trends and related initiatives. Positive changes in Industrial Automation Cable market trends are expected to propel market growth.
What are some major challenges in the industrial automation cable market?
High cost of advanced cables, complex installation processes, and the need for skilled professionals for setup and maintenance.
What opportunities exist in the industrial automation cable market?
Opportunities include implementation of robotics and AI, demand for energy-efficient cables, focus on renewable energy, and expansion of industrial automation in emerging economies.
What key strategies are companies deploying in the industrial automation cable market?
Companies are focusing on product innovation and development, strategic partnerships and collaborations, and market expansion and geographic presence.
How is the industrial automation cable market segmented?
The market is segmented based on basis of product (Ethernet cables, power cables, communication cables, others), cable type, application industry (manufacturing, automotive, oil and gas, energy, others), sales channel (direct sales, distribution sales), sales channel, and region.